Custom URL or Vanity URL for Facebook Pages
Facebook Custom Address URL
Posted by Adam Hayes
How to add a custom "vanity url" to your facebook Pages page.
Here is how Facebook describes Page usernames:
“Usernames allow public entities to easily promote your presence on Facebook with a short URL. This username can be used in your marketing communications, company website and business cards.”
If you pick the username “AHFXnet,” then your Page’s URL becomes “facebook.com/ahfxnet.”
It is important to note that you need at least 25 fans before you can create a custom URL for your Facebook page. You must also be an admin of the Page in order to secure its custom URL.
Facebook also says,
“Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) or a period (".").”
We recommend picking a short and memorable username that reflects your company name or brand. You cannot change your username, so think wisely and ask for a second opinion when deciding on your page’s permanent username. For branding purposes we would suggest you use the same name as your twitter account.
Here are the steps to create your custom Facebook URL.
- Login to Facebook, with the account that administers your Facebook Page
- Go to http://www.facebook.com/username/
- You will see in a yellow box, the username for your PERSONAL profile. This is not related to your Page username.
- Below, you will see a link that says, “Set a username for you Pages”
- Click on that link
- A box will appear, and if you have more than one Facebook Page which you administer, you will see a drop down menu with all of your Pages displayed. Pick the desired Page from the list.
- If you are eligible for a username, meaning you have at least 25 fans and have not yet set your username, you will see a box that says “Enter Desired Username”
- If you select a page that does not have 25 fans, Facebook will tell you that you are not eligible. If you pick a page with already has a username, Facebook will display the current username, which cannot be changed.
- Once you enter a username, you can click “Check Availability.” If your desired username is available, you will see a box reminding you that you cannot change your username once it has been set.
- If you are ready to set your username, click “Confirm.”
- Now you have a custom Facebook URL! Share it on your other social networks, and you can even have it printed on your business cards.
Test your custom facebook pages url by going to www.facebook.com/ahfxnet (replace ahfxnet with your new custom url). This page also lets you claim your own custom personal url for your account as well.
SmarterMail Receiving Slowly »